Monday, February 9, 2009

Love & Whales

What a day! Poor Aaron was sick to his stomach all day in bed. Hopefully lots of sleep, many episodes of Smallville, my homemade soup, and OJ + sparkling h2O will do the trick. Tomorrow is a 'ride along'; follow-up to his interview last Thursday for a new job. Bust out our kneepads and ask God for favor.
By the end of the day, we both lounged on the couch with hurting tummies, finished off the soup, and watched the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
There was a point in the movie where the Intergalactic whatchamacallit button was pushed and instead of the spaceship morphing, the two missiles chasing the spaceship morphed. One of the missiles morphed into a whale. That poor whale's mind raced with thoughts of it's purpose as it fell at lightning speed toward some planet, and, well, crashed. The movie never awarded him his meaning in life, but I will in this blog.
This whale will now transition us to the second romance story of the month. Hopefully you are still reading (whoever you are, I don't think we have an audience yet, but I'll keep typing)

So, February 3, 2006 was Aaron's 25th birthday. We were three months into blissful dating. I was pumped to celebrate his birthday for the first time together. I love birthdays. I really do. My great plan was going to be a fun surprise. A whale watching trip. I know right? AWESOME! You might even be thinking, "gee what a sweetie". I pridefully drove us south into San Diego, with a big smile stretched from earlobe to earlobe. Aaron didn't get to see the glee on my face because, of course, he was blindfolded. He pulled off the blindfold as we pulled into the harbor parking lot. He clearly wasn't as enthusiastic as I was, which was fine, I am sure he just needed to get on that boat. Together! On his birthday!
We boarded and we made our way to the back bench. As we headed out on choppy waters, we sat there. Cold. {I didn't think to pack warm clothes}
A couple hours into the excursion, we sat on the back bench. Hungry. {oops-I didn't think to bring snacks}
By the end of the trip, we sat on the back bench. Burnt. Well, not me, just my very white skinned boyfriend from Ohio. {No, I didn't pack sunscreen, hats, or sunglasses}
Um, Happy Birthday Aaron.
The trip was redeemed by a few whales splashing & waving at us and Aaron feeding seagulls off the back of the boat with a fellow whale watcher's goldfish cracker crumbs.




This story really sets the tone for this very different but loving pair. I hope you don't mind taking this tumble down Lover's Lane with me; there are some funny stories. It won't last too long. I can already see March peaking over the horizon.



Oh yeah, listen to amos lee's album last days at the lodge. it's pleasant.

-michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment