Wednesday, April 1, 2009

what makes you run faster?

I was running uphill and I wanted to give in to a walk, but this chorus sang in my ears, beat in my heart, and caused my steps to pound faster on the pavement.

Say when and my own two hands
Will comfort you tonight, tonight
Say when and my own two arms
Will carry you tonight, tonight

We’re coming close and then even closer
We bring it in but we get no further
We’re separate, two ghosts in one mirror, no nearer
Later on if it turns to chaos
Hurricane coming all around us
See the crack, pull it back from the window, you stay low

Say when and my own two hands
Will comfort you tonight, tonight
Say when and my own two arms
Will carry you tonight, tonight

A cluster of vignettes flashed in my mind. Whose hands were going to comfort who? How many ways could these words be interpreted? A daughter needing the safety of dad. A lady longing for the safety of lover's embrace. An old man hoping to pass away with the comfort of a son. A soldier rescuing a small child from the horror of war.

And I thought. God.

I ran faster and the spark started in my toenails and up my fastly moving legs, traveling speedily up my spine. My heart was beating pretty damn fast. Was it the running or the truth of a living Love outside of me and you and everyone around us. And the last clip I saw was myself crying out for the arms of God.

And I thought, what does that look like? I know what it feels like.

And all of those scenarios. All of those scenarios can be Him through us. Those scenarios don't have to be substitutionary love. Oh man, he is so real and I am not only writing this because I had some emotional experience from a song. He existed before us, with us now, and after us and I am just happy for you to know that or be reminded of it.


-michelle

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! What a cute picture of you two, Michelle your hair is adorable. Thanks for writing me back. We will have to talk soon...

    ReplyDelete