Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Recipe

The Aaron Uher some of you remember, is the one who lived off of Wonder Bread from the 99 Cents Only Store and counted the challenge of eating an entire pack of ball park hotdogs, a complete joy.

Oh the strides my man has taken concerning his eating habits. We weren't lying when we named our blog "A different but loving pair". We are different in countless ways, but eating was one of the big ones.

A few months ago, Aaron asked me if I could start packing his lunches for him. You can imagine my glee. This didn't give me complete control, but enough that I was pleased.
I've been posed with a challenge to balance out giving him foods that I consider 'healthier choices' and foods that he actually likes. He has one heck of a metabolism and digests most foods pretty well, so my options weren't too limited. After all, my totally hot-hardworking stud needs sustained energy for representing 1 800 Got Junk, to the best of his ability. P.S. thank you, GotJunk, for the fabulous 50 inch plasma screen TV that Aaron is mounting on the wall in front of me as I type this. No joke, folks.

Anyhow, today I came up with a new recipe for bars to pack in his lunches, bars that I consider to be packed with what I like to call 'happy foods'.

I don't know what to call them. For now, they are Aaron's Peanut Butter Oat Flax Bars.
If you have any ideas, leave me a comment. Also, if you try the recipe, let me know how you like them!

So here is the recipe to: Aaron's Peanut Butter Oat Flax Bars (until someone comes up with a better name) As always, I suggest the highest quality ingredients available to you. (i.e. certifed organic and/or least processed)

1 Cup Sucanat*
1 package of quality protein (equivalent to about 1 scoop)
2/3 Cup natural, unsalted, crunchy Peanut Butter
1/2 Cup Agave Nectar*
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil*
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Cups Rolled Oats
1/3 Cup Flax Fiber
1 Cup (+ a lil' extra) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

*Substitutions (I haven't tried it with these substitutions, but I am sure these would be fine)
*Sucanat is dehydrated cane juice, I am sure any organic /raw sugar would be fine
*Honey could be used instead of Agave Nectar
*Unsalted Butter could be used instead of Coconut Oil

I didn't add Sea Salt, but I bet 1/2 tsp of sea salt would be beneficial to this recipe. I will add next time.

Mix sugar, peanut butter, protein powder, agave nectar, coconut oil, flax fiber and vanilla extract with a hand held mixer until well combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in oat flakes 1 cup at a time. Add chocolate chips. I scooped into a 9 x 13 in. glass baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. I set my timer for 12 minutes, then rotated the pan and baked for 10 more minutes. Let cool for 10-15 minutes and cut into bars. Leave the bars in the dish to cool. I eventually put the pan in the fridge for a few hours for the bars to firm up. Otherwise, they fall apart super easily!


Anyway, hope you try it and like it! Aaron says he does!

lovelove
michelle




1 comment:

  1. mmmm! thank you for being an ever-flowing source of recipe awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete